To Blog or Not to Blog?
A Grad Student’s Question
Should I start a blog? What do I post? How often? What styles and designs do I choose to represent myself and my work? All these answers come with time, but here are ten reasons for why YOU should start a blog:
1) It’s the 21st century – get with the program, people!
2) Build an audience of readers
3) Expose your work to as many viewers as possible (It took 3 years but I have 30 subscribers and 200 page views so far this month!)
4) Connect with other writers and resources
5) Expose your work to meaningful criticism
6) Learn to take and rebuff meaningless criticism
7) Start to adapt to an increasingly Internet-reality-based world
8) You have to promote yourself every way you can to make it in this business
9) You never know what doors you’ll open
10) It’s cool and everyone else is doing it
So if you’re nervous or unsure, but determined to be read, start a blog. You don’t have to devote your life to constantly updating posts and commenting on other writers’ pages, but blogging is just another tool toward accomplishing your goals if you’re serious about your writing career. At least give it a go. It’s not for everyone, but what do you have to lose? They’re easy enough to start. Here are some of the most popular and user-friendly blog sites: